The Last Ship Season Five Premiere Review

Hello and welcome back to The nerd shelf!

It is Monday the 10th and The last ship is back with its fifth and final season. Truth be told, I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it. I don't want this show to end but already it looks like the show is going to go out with a BANG!





If you haven't seen the show The last ship is about the crew of a lone unaffected U.S. Navy destroyer, the fictional USS Nathan James, who after a global viral pandemic that wipes out 80% of the world population must try to find a cure, stop the virus and save humanity. It's an action-packed drama that will take you on a ride.



SPOILERS AHEAD!!



Onto the review:

Let's start with Tom Chandler (Eric Dane) who has now been promoted to an Admiral. He has also retired and is teaching the young new shipmen of the navy. He seems fucking miserable though. It's something behind his eyes, he just doesn't seem like he's fully interacting with people. Even one of his students, Clayton Swain (Troy Doherty), asks him if he misses it. The war, the mission, the clarity of purpose. He even says "I mean, you said it yourself, we're warriors. Without a war, whats a warrior to do?". And all throughout the conversation, you can tell that Tom misses it, even if he never confirms it. Tom and Sasha (we'll get to her later) seem to be in a relationship, and when they're on the phone we find out that Toms son has moved out to live with his sister in St. Louis. Sasha already knows this and tells him that he shouldn't take it personally, they are just used to him not being there full time. Tom gets defensive and says that he has been there full time for the last 3 years and Sasha comes back with not in your head. And it shows at the end of their conversation because he's not focused on what she's saying at all.

So we go down to Florida and we see a lot of people that I love. Alisha Granderson (Christina Elmore) who is now a commander. She has a girlfriend, and they have this super lovey-dovey conversation over the phone, that was kind of annoying, but maybe that's just me. But it shows how happy she is. Russ Jeter, or as we know him Master chief (Charles Parnell), and goddammit, it's good to see him. Joseph Meylan (Emerson Brooks). And then there's a new character, General Anita DuFine (April Parker Jones), I have no idea what to think about her right now, but I have no reason, at the moment, to think she's not on the good side. They are watching what I think is their new fleet come in. We finally see admiral Mike Slattery (Adam Baldwin), who I thought for the first half of the first season was a bad guy, and Andrea Garnett (Fay Masterson) who is now commander of USS Jeffrey Michener. And then we see one of my favorite characters, Kara Green (Marissa Neitling) who is now commander of USS Nathan James. I don't know why I'm reacting so emotionally (probably because it's the final season) but I almost cried seeing her. I think it's also because I have missed this show so much. But it could just me being an emotional wreck all the time...

They have set up the Nathan James as kind of a museum, and Tom is looking around. There's a cutout of him, and a replica of Dr. Scotts lab. There's a great moment when a couple comes up to Tom and asks for a picture, but not for him to be in it but for him to take the picture of them and the cutout. In the hall both Chandlers and Slatterys uniforms have been framed. It's very nostalgic even for the viewers who have watched this show for so long. The writers have really taken their time to pay homage to the show in general, and all the characters that we have lost.
  Chandler meets up with his old friends, Slattery, Garnett, Eric Miller (Kevin Michael Martin) who I love, Ray Diaz (Adam Irigoyen),  Carl Nishioka (Ben Cho) and Gator (Michael Curran-Dorsano), who apparently has retired and now has a kid. He's going to come back for one day for Fleet Week, a celebration of the navy, where civilians can come and go on tours of the ships.
Kara comes in and in a conversation with Chandler, we learn that she's only the captain for the Nathan James for the launch of the fleet, cause otherwise, she's on mom-duty. Then when Chandler mentions Danny, she says that he knows more about him than she does and that he's doing what makes him happy, "or at least what keeps him sane". I'm sorry but what the fuck does that mean?! Are they not together anymore? Because I don't think I could handle that. I honestly would be so pissed. But she smiles so that makes me think she's kind of okay with it?! I'm so confused!

So fleet week, there are so many people there, including reporters who want to interview Chandler and Slattery. Oh and Burke (Jocko Sims) is there. He's one of my favorite characters as well, and he's on the ground to represent the Nathan James while Kara took some tourists out on a cruise in the harbor. I was so happy to see him again. He tells Chandler that he's not a museum exhibit, he's a legend. While Chandler is doing the interview the satellite cuts out, and as we see in another scene it's because of the guy in Colombia who hacks into their system and shuts it down. When this happened I knew some shit was going to go down.
  There's an attack, that was beautifully shot and I can't narrate it for my life. The action scenes in this show are so well done.
But what does happen is both Garnett and Doc Rios (Maximiliano Hernández) dies. Garnett gets shot first and when Rios goes to save her, he gets hit as well. Garnett actually dies in Slattery's arms. It was horrible and it made me cry. Slattery looked so broken with her in his arms.
The fact that they already are killing people off makes me believe that they are going all out on this final season. Along with Garnett and Doc Rios, there's a lot of more soldiers and civilians who die.
  On the Nathan James Kara sees the attack. She decides to stay out of the enemies sight since their weapons systems are still down. Everyone thinks they have sunk too. But honestly, I have a feeling that the Nathan James is never going to sink. After the attack is over Kara sends all the civilians back to the mainland. She tells Gator that he should go too since he has a family back home. He tells her, and this is where I almost cried again, that he wants to be reinstated so that he can help them fight this battle. She agrees of course.

Okay, let's go to Panama where Sasha Cooper (Bridget Regan) and Danny Green (Travis Van Winkle) is meeting with a guy named Marco (Issac Cruz). They have hired him and he gets them invitations to the presidents birthday party. I had absolutely no idea where this was going or what their mission was.
  We then go to the party and Sasha is wearing this beautiful dress, and holy shit she looks good in that. We also see Azima Kandie (Jodie Turner-Smith) at the party, who also is wearing an amazing dress. I love when dark skinned girls are wearing bright colors like yellow as she did in this scene. She looked amazing.
While Kandie is talking to the president's guards, we see Wolf (Bren Foster), who I loved seeing again, breaking into the building, and Danny getting in through the back door. At this point, I felt like they were going to assassinate the president, especially when I saw the gun Wolf had with him. But again, I just had no idea what their mission was. So Sasha sees the president and as she goes to talk to him when someone interrupts her, Hector Martinez (Rigo Sanchez). I got a weird vibe from him but I couldn't decide if he was trying to stall her or flirt with her. At last Sasha get's the president in a room alone, well almost alone. His guards are there and Danny and Kandie get into the room as well. Their mission was to show the president that he needs help with his security, but by doing it in a way where he felt offended and humiliated made him not want their help. In the end, they leave.
  The next day they find out that they have been framed by who I think are the Colombians, most likely Martinez, to have killed the president. The police are after them but Marco can get them out.  They can't get in touch with fleet command and believe that all the ships went down during the attack. Apparently, Tavo (Maurice Compte) has taken responsibility and blames it on the Americans killing the president of Panama, which we know they didn't do. Danny has a moment where he seems to be breaking down since he doesn't know that Kara is okay, but he puts it aside and wants to go to Colombia to take Tavo out. The others agree, since they have no orders anyways, and Marco gets them out.

So who the fuck is this Tavo guy? And why does he feel the need to take out the U.S.? The scene we see at the beginning with the guy who is coding something, I knew he was dead as soon as he gave the USB to the other guy. And when that guy puts it into the computer I knew they were getting hacked. But why? Tavo must have a personal grudge towards the U.S. or he just wants power. We see who I presume is his wife and son so it's not them being killed by them so what is it? That is what I want the answers for right now.

Overall the season premiere was a great one. It made me so happy to see these characters again and I was devastated when Garnett and Doc Rios died. They've been there since the beginning so it hurt, bad. I love that they mention characters from past seasons, like Dr. Scott, who've died. And I love that they've named a ship after Jeffrey Michener.  It tugs at my heartstrings a bit. But I'm really excited to see what the final season will bring us. I think they made a great choice in making this seasons threat something other than a biological virus this time. And I think it's even more frightening in some ways since all their equipment can be taken out and leave them alone with no defense by a guy putting in a USB and pressing send.
  I'm already looking forward to next week when the next episode comes out.

/Johanna

Comments